Friday, December 21, 2012

My Blogger is in Korean, and...T-money!


Well, I am not sure how to change it, but my blogger is all in Korean (minus what I type). That is slightly annoying. It wouldn't be an issue if I was highly familiar with Blogger, but I am not so it is problematic. Anywho, moving on. Today was another little adventure. I went out and bought a T-money charm so I can use public transportation. I haven't actually attempted to use the subway yet, but baby steps. I felt pretty good though because I finally got to use some of the Korean I have learned. So far, up till purchasing the t-money charm, I had only managed to say simple things like Hello and Thank you. Today, I got to say, "sago sipoyo" (I butchered that romanized spelling, I'm sure) when explaining that I wanted to buy the t-money card. That felt good, and the woman at the counter l ooked infinitely more relieved that she didn't have to try to work it out in English.
After, I went for some tofu stew with ddeok (rice cake). It was really good. I am pretty much working my way down the menu at this one particular tofu stew place. First I had kimchi, then mandu (dumpling), and now the rice cake. Next I want to have the ham (looks like spam). I also went grocery shopping. It was a small haul of items; nothing too big, bulky, or that I really have to cook just yet, but I did pick up a few tasty things for dinner and a snack or two. While there, I spotted another foreigner. I guess he could be a native, who just so happens to have a white parent so he doesn't look Korean, but I don't think so. I didn't quite get up the guts to say hello, but it was nice not feeling like I was the only foreigner in the store (E-mart in Sindorim Techno Mart). On my walk back home, I saw yet another foreigner. I didn't talk to him either (damn my shyness!!). It was just odd. I have been here all week and I hadn't seen a single foreigner at all, and all in one day I spot 2. I guess it is likely because it is Saturday, and they are out doing their weekend thing (where they would have otherwise been teaching classes or working while I was out previously in the week).
Well, that's been my day so far. Perhaps there will be more to happen, but I will save that for another post.

3 comments:

  1. You can fix that! on the blogger homepage when it lists all of your blogs, in the upper right hand corner it has a box listing your language, with a downward pointing arrow. If you click that it will give you a list of other languages and you can choose english!

    Also great to hear that you got your Tmoney card. You know some korean so you already seem way more prepared to be here then when I first came. If you have any questions I would love to help you out If I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks! I finally can understand my blogger. I don't know nearly enough Korean to be able to navigate a non-English blogger without constantly translating things with my phone (and those translations aren't always very helpful).

      Delete
  2. Thats why I ended up switching my browser to Google Chrome for it's automatic translation tool, helps a lot when I have trouble on websites.

    ReplyDelete