Thursday, February 14, 2013

The subway adventure continues...

I went for another search for Cool Pet/Dr. Pet and I finally found it. I took the subway again and actually did a transfer *gasp* which was interesting. It gets a little easier for me each time I go out. Monday I may be going to a different Cool Pet and I will have 2 transfers, so that will be the test.

So this time I found vending machines with hot drinks and made a few observations. Now the hot drink vending machine may be normal in other places but I have never seen them before (outside of anime and korean dramas). I had seen them before on my last visit but I didnt try them. I didnt try one todat either but I plan to test them out soon. An observation I made (one of a few) was that subway stations can be dangerous to the bank account. Every time I go in one, I buy something from one of the miltitude of shops that are there. If I am not stopping for a coffee and donuts or buying some kind if beauty product, then I am buying some gadget or accessory or I am stopping at one of the many convenience stores down there. It is bad enough I do the same thing at street level, but now even underground when all I wanted was to catch a train or cross the street safely (if there wasnt a cross walk).

Another observation...subways can get really crowded.  There also seems to be a whole lot of hurry up to wait kind if thing. People will push you around so they can get past you then simply stop in the middle of the walkway (or even on the stairs) whether someone is blocking their was or not. Now this is something I had heard about before (the people just stopping right in front of you), but I didnt believe it was as bad as it is. I can get used to it but I cant guarantee I wont run right into someone some day. Plus, I dont want to pick it up as a learned habit.

And a final note for the day...bathrooms. I finally found a restroom that didnt have toilet paper but that did have the communal roll outside by the sinks. You have to grab some on the way in, and hope you managed to get enough. There were both western-style and squat-potty-style (the hole in the floor that you squat over) toilets though - thank goodness, and they were both abundant and clearly marked on the stall doors. Now some may be thinking talking about the bathrooms is gross, but its something you have to me prepared for if you plan to go to Korea or many other asian countries. So there you have it.

I think I will document my next subway trip on video (or at least a slideshow) to help show others how to use the subway...just from my experience and perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment